[Air-l] teens and myspace

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 28 13:09:13 PST 2006

Holloway and Valentine are referring to gender in the ideological or
performative sense - gender being seen as something you accomplish socially
rather than some inherent quality about you.  Hence the 'doing' a gender
rather than, say, 'being' a gender.  It cuts the assumption that one's
phenotypal sex (physiology, hormones, chromosomes) is tied directly to one's
gender identity.

That was oversimplified as anything, but hopefully it helped?

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw
Dept of Linguistics
University of Colorado