[Air-l] member privacy

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:08:33 PST 2006

The policy was that AoIR puts the privacy of its members foremost.
AoIRa\ does not distribute any information about its membership
beyond what people make available themselves.   To that end, in the
past, AoIR has not sold its membership lists, it has not published
lists of emails or contact information, or provided that information
in other ways.   This has the added effect of limited the amount of
spam that member receive, but that in my opinion, was not the primary
motivation.  The primary motivation is that each aoir member can
choose to do as they wish individually with information that they may
view as public or private, and aoir should not dictate this to members.

As for what you believe the internet is for, that is a matter for
your opinion, i don't think it has any normative end that defines it
as a whole, just as I don't believe that the organization can
determine for each individual member whether their information should
be public or private.

I don't think there is any paranoia.  I've always thought that the
best reasoned position for this is to let individuals announce their
aoir membership if they want, but that is for them to do, aoir will
either certify that it is true or not.   That argument really isn't
about abuse of information, though that could quickly become a an
issue the first time that such abuse occurs.

It is also the tradition of this organization to deal with these
issues openly when possible, not in a private poll.  In the end,
decisions about things like this are generally referred to the paying
members in a vote or through discussion.  The original discussions
about this policy will be found on the old conference lists and
elsewhere.   As i recall, didn't we have a vote when we instituted
the non-discrimination policy the first time.