[Air-l] teens and myspace

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Feb 28 07:45:46 PST 2006

My sense if that if it is dependent on all these things, then the
notion that "kids today" view online interaction as completely
nonstigmatic is a problematic notion.

I'm not suggesting that youth don't USE all this stuff -- it's
evident that they do and that they are into it. My 9 year old son
lives on Runescape whenever he can (playing, for the most part, with
the playground crowd from his school).

What I am talking about is more like this -- when I interviewed
college students a few years ago (before they were all "addicted" --
their own term -- to facebook), the people who rarely used the net
socially were very happy to say that those who did things like IM
with roomates were "pathetic." The ones who did IM roomates said they
did it, but viewed themselves (or at least said they did) as "geeky,"
"pathetic," and other derogatory terms for doing so. Whether they
were really stigmatizing their own internet use, or were responding
to a sense that they *should* stigmatize it I don't know.

Were these college kids the last generation to think there was
anything wrong with what they did (and enjoyed doing) online?