[Air-l] The Strength of Internet Ties

Alex Kuskis alex.kuskis at netscape.ca
Thu Jan 26 08:40:43 PST 2006

And here's the Toronto Globe & Mail's take on this research.........Alex
Kuskis

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060126.wxinternet26/BNStory/National/

Internet doesn't destroy relationships, a new study finds, it strengthens
them
By JILL MAHONEY

Thursday, January 26, 2006 Posted at 5:31 AM EST

>From Thursday's Globe and Mail

 The initial warnings about the Internet's creep into modern lives were
dire: Communities would crumble because people would be chained to their
computers.
But a new study by Canadian researchers suggests the Web actually expands
and strengthens relationships.

"The Internet is adding on to community rather than destroying it," said
Barry Wellman, a sociology professor at the University of Toronto who
co-wrote the report. "There were a huge number of people running around
saying the sky was falling a few years ago. What we found is the sky isn't
falling, that life is going on and quite happily."

The study, which was released yesterday, examined Americans' Internet habits
and found that computer users have larger social networks than non-users.
And, perhaps surprisingly, people who use e-mail actually have more phone
and face-to-face contact with their friends, families and associates.

"The current generation of e-mail users is communicating much more often
than recent generations and possibly more often than any previous generation
since people huddled in caves with only conversation to pass the nights
away," says the study, which was funded by the Pew Internet & American Life
Project.

Heavy e-mail users have more than twice as much land-line phone contact
within their social networks and three times as much cellular phone contact
than people who do not use e-mail, according to the report.

"E-mail supplements, rather than replaces, the communication people have
with people who are very close to them -- as well as . . . with those not so
close," the report says in noting e-mail's key role in maintaining ties
between acquaintances.

Prof. Wellman, who was asked by the Pew organization to get involved with
the research, said the conclusions are "highly similar to what we'd find
with Canadians."

The reason e-mail breeds increased communication, the report suggests, could
be because, as the old maxim goes, one thing simply leads to another.

For example, an e-mail exchange between colleagues about a complex issue
might spark a phone call to continue the discussion. Or friends could use
e-mail to arrange a night at the movies.

"There's an ecology of media and they all fit together," Prof. Wellman said.

E-mail -- which is the Internet's most popular application -- has long been
extolled for helping far-flung friends and relatives stay in touch because
it is convenient, inexpensive, unobtrusive and fits seamlessly into busy
modern lives.

While social networks were once geographically based -- people's lives
revolved around local friends, neighbours and co-workers -- they are now
much more dispersed. (The report looked at other Internet applications,
including instant messaging, weblogs and webcams.)

Take Jeffrey Boase, a University of Toronto doctoral student in sociology
who also co-wrote the report. Most mornings, Mr. Boase talks to his
girlfriend in Japan by webcam.

The pair, who met three years ago in Kyoto, were initially friends but their
romance heated up over e-mail. Their relationship became serious during a
fall visit and is now sustained by long webcam conversations.

"It's interesting -- we started with e-mail when we didn't know each other
as well and then the more we got to know each other, we moved to the more
rich form of communication," he said.

However, the report, which is primarily based on the findings of a telephone
survey of 2,200 American adults done in February and March of 2004, also
found the "great bulk of ties" nurtured by the Internet were among people
living in the same city, Prof. Wellman said.

"That's where our lives are. We still are physical beings, we're not just
computer bits. We're still atoms, we still have physical needs," he said.

But despite the Internet's deep reach, the survey found that the most common
mode of communication remains the land-line telephone and personal
interaction.

The study also found that Internet users are more likely than non-users to
get help from their contacts.

As well, nearly one-third of adult Americans said the Internet had played a
key role in dealing with at least one recent major life decision.