[Air-l] e-commerce and fake trust

Frank Thomas news.ftr at free.fr
Sun Jan 29 09:44:30 PST 2006

Hi,
The New York Times today runs two stories about the treatments of fakes
by eBay
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/technology/29ebay.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/technology/29ebayside.html

It seems that the reputation system can easily be managed in favour of
sellers of fakes. So, creating reputation by a technology is not as easy
as eBay pretends. A real surprise.
I guess the reputation systems lacks a  certain dose of social control
based on actors that are outside the systems, and are nor immediate
benefactors, as market organiser, seller, and buyer are.
Creating fake reputation can easily be extended to stolen goods. I
recently looked for a copy of a SPSS stats package and saw a SPSS
version 13  with a perpetual ! licence, for below 100$.  The seller only
had excellent reviews. People get really inventive when they try to fraud.

F. Thomas

Dr. Frank Thomas
FTR Internet Research
93110 Rosny-sous-Bois