[Air-l] Any opinions about Opinio web survey software

Ulf-Dietrich Reips ureips at genpsy.unizh.ch
Wed Jul 5 09:03:14 PDT 2006

Hi Rowin, all,

At 15:01 Uhr +0100 5.7.2006, Rowin Young wrote:
>I would also be very interested in seeing the
>results of your research and am looking forward
>to them being announced.

I'll be happy to send them.

>I also wondered how many (if any) of the tools
>you've looked at use the IMS Question and Test
>Interoperability specification
>(http://www.imsglobal.org/question/index.html),
>an open standard mainly being used in
>eassessment but which can also be used for
>surveys.

We are aware of the IMS standards (and have used
an earlier version in our own e-learning
development, see e.g.
http://www.methpsy.unizh.ch/mesosworld/archive/standards/STD-QTI.html
and
http://www.methpsy.unizh.ch/mesosworld/archive/leitfaden/ulf/assessmentgen.html
), but the IMS has a number of impracticalities
and inconsistencies. In particular, none of the
research on Web survey and Web experiment
methodology has found its way into the standards
(e.g., certain types of errors happen more easily
with some response types or rendering types than
others, so it is better to offer the latter in a
tool). Also, the psychology and reality of Web
surveying is not appropriately reflected in the
standards. For example, the frequency of how
often a question type is needed in creating Web
surveys ought to be reflected in a tool's
usability and selection of question types, but
the standards are indifferent in this respect.
Furthermore, response-type and rendering may
theoretically ideal to be handled independently
(as aimed for in the standards), but this is not
the psychological reality for responders to and
creators of questionnaires. They experience and
prefer to handle both as a conglomerate. We can
discuss further details off-list, if you like.
However, we will consider the IMS in terms of the
total picture of question types, layout types and
response options etc. available in tools.

Best --u
--
PD Dr. Ulf-Dietrich Reips

	    President, Society for Computers in Psychology (http://scip.ws)