[Air-l] Web survey reuse question

'Gail Taylor gdtaylor at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 6 06:45:37 PDT 2006

I have been following the discussion related to the use of
the Opinio survey software product. Multiple questions came
to mind related to the reuse of online questionnaires in
support of research studies.

Do you know of any research studies where online
questionnaires have been reused by researchers other than
those who developed and validated a particular questionnaire?

Do any of you know validity issues are being addressed by
researchers when questionnaires that were developed and
validated using a particular software product are migrated to
another product?

Do any of you know whether researchers are charging a fee for
the reuse of their questionnaires? Does the software producer
also benefit monetarily from the resale of the questionnaire?

Do any of you know of any Internet research methodology books
that directly address these questions? In doing readings in
this area, I am finding these questions tend to be overlooked
as the methodologies tend to present information related to
doing original research as opposed to extending research
through the replication of previous studies.

~ Gail

Gail D. Taylor, M.Ed.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Human Resource Education Ph.D. Student
Educational Psychology Teaching Assistant

"We can't just have mainstream behavior
on television in a free society. We have
to make sure we see the whole panorama
of human behavior." -- Jerry Springer