[Air-l] commodification of online spaces

Sara M. Grimes smgrimes at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 13 14:50:07 PDT 2006

Hi Rebekah -
At the risk of tooting my own horn, I've been involved in a couple of
projects on children's online games that you might be interested in:

Grimes, Sara M. & Shade, Leslie R. (2005). "Neopian Economics of Play:
Children's Cyberpets and Online Communities as Immersive Advertising in
Neopets.com." International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics 1(2):
181-198.

Chung, Grace and Sara M. Grimes (2005). "Data Mining the Kids: Surveillance
and Market Research Strategies in Children's Online Games." Canadian Journal
of Communication 30(4): 527-548.

I also have a chapter in Patrick Williams and Jonas Heide-Smith's upcoming
book "The Player's Realm" on TOS contracts in children's online games, which
deals with commodification:

Grimes, Sara M. (Forthcoming). "Terms of Service, Terms of Play in
Children's Online Gaming." In Williams, Patrick and Jonas Heide Smith (Eds.)
In, The Players’ Realm: Studies on the Culture of Video Games and Gaming.
Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co.

Betsy Book also has a paper on advertising in online games that includes
HabboHotel. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=536422

Leslie Regan Shade has a chapter on gURL.com called "Gender and the
Commodification of Community: Women.com and gURL.com" in Community in the
Digital Age. Eds. Darin Barney and Andrew Feenberg, Rowman and Littlefield,
2004.

Seth Grossman has a great article in the Yale Law Journal on the  regulating
advergames called "Grand Theft Oreo: The Constitutionality of Advergame
Regulation"

Good luck with your search!

Sara M. Grimes
PhD Candidate/School of Communication
Research Assistant/Applied Communication + Technology (ACT) Lab
Simon Fraser University