[Air-l] Upcoming conferences/publications of interest

T. Kennedy tkennedy at netwomen.ca
Wed Jul 19 10:11:17 PDT 2006

Hi Katie (and all) - this is a great idea.
I would like to see a bit more on gaming and virtual spaces:

-Upcoming WIGI Events -The Balancing Act: Game Industry Careers and Quality
of Life
September 16, Seattle Washington
http://www.womeningamesinternational.org/register.html
Finding a balance between quality of life and successful career in the game
industry can be extremely challenging. It can also be a major obstacle for
women who are considering the game industry as a career. At this conference,
we will identify quality of life issues and discuss methods for coping or
balancing the demands of the industry and a healthy life.

-Austin Game Conference
The Austin Game Conference (AGC) - now in its 4th year - is the definitive
conference for online and networked game development, including massively
multiplayer online games, casual games, online PC and console games.
http://www.gameconference.com/

-Second Life Community Convention
We're pleased to announce that the second annual Second Life Community
Convention will occur in the Cowell Theater at the Fort Mason Center in San
Francisco, California, from August 18th-20th. We have a preliminary
framework of the weekends' events, and a great team assembled to bring it to
you!
http://www.slconvention.com/

-International DiGRA Conference Sept 24-28th Tokyo
Games are everywhere. On subways, we see people playing Tetris with
cell-phones. On the street and in restaurants, kids play with GameBoys and
other portable devices. At home, we gather around the console or collaborate
with a family member to take out a monster in a multiplayer game. At
offices, we spend spare time playing PC games. Our elderly are whiling away
free hours playing online games. Games are truly everywhere, and
increasingly, part of more and more people's lives.
http://www.digra.org/

Tracy L. M. Kennedy
PhD Candidate -
Department of Sociology

Graduate Fellow -
Knowledge Media Design Institute

Research Coordinator -
NetLab - Centre for Urban & Community Studies

University of Toronto
725 Spadina Ave.
Toronto, ON M5S 2J4
tkennedy at netwomen.ca