[Air-l] typos in chat

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Sun Jul 23 10:50:39 PDT 2006

Hey Kris,

I'd guess that it stems from the traditional use of an asterisk in writing to
note a kind of footnote/follow-up/afterthought, though placed in CMD on the
correction rather than the trouble source since you can't typically mess around
with anything already in the chat box (or IM box, or MMO-chat box [and probably
other boxes?  by the by, do people even do repair in SMS?]).

I've seen the asterisk placed right before the correction (*good) and right
after (good*) - same with the placement of other, similar repair markers - so
if this is where this stems from, it's up and gone through a little shifting
for some speakers.

Take care!

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
Culture, Language & Social Practice
University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~raclaw/

Quoting Kris Markman <krism at alumni.utexas.net>:

* Does anybody know (or have any guesses about) the origin of using an
* asterisk to denote the correction of a typo in chat (and possibly
* other forms of CMC)? I.e.:
*
* SIDNEY: sounds god
* REBECA: I feel like i have some kind of goal now!
* SIDNEY: good*
*
* Thanks!
* -Kris
* --
* Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
* Email: krism at alumni.utexas.net
* http://kris3198.home.comcast.net
* is provided by the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
* Subscribe, change options or unsubscribe at: