[Air-l] CMC, ICT, digital communication

Martin Garthwaite marting at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 08:18:36 PDT 2006

Jillana,

I would agree, if you look at a time line, I remember reading about CMC over
15 years ago, and I'll go out on a limb here and say that quite a lot of the
research on CMC was done pre-mass adoption of Internet. So services like
CompuServe, CIX and AOL that provided walled gardens that were not
originally part of the Internet. CMC also referred to mailing lists like
this one, e-mail, usenet groups, all these systems were pre-html
technologies.

ICT appears to me to be a catch all term, and I find digital communication a
little ambiguous.

Martin.
m.k.garthwaite at lse.ac.uk
MSc candidate media at lse