[Air-l] India Rejects One Laptop Per Child

Chheng Hong cho5 at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:44:36 PDT 2006

In my opinion, technological empowerment and basic living fulfillment
are both valid argument, while "one laptop per child for a poor country"
is a more unrealistic one.

In fact, not all children in India are equally, poor. Children in rich
families don't need your old-fashioned laptop with only 128MB DRAM,
while poor children will probably be more willing to sell this "useless"
machine in exchange for something s/he needs more. Who will actually
bring this laptop to school and learn it? It needs further investigation.

In addition, I cannot speak for Indians, but I believe children in Asia
are relatively not treated as individuals like Western countries.
Therefore, you must make sure that their parents won't take over their
children's "property" once the laptops are given to those children.
Well, maybe this project will have another unexpected result "one laptop
per father."