[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Jul 28 04:13:56 PDT 2006

In social theory,   I think with investigation... you'll find that
there are more authors that use 'community' than dismiss 'community'
as a concept.  Community, like many concepts with political and
policy implications, is essentially contested (connelly), and in that
it is hard to define and/or operationalize unless one is thoroughly
embedded in a specific theoretical tradition that disregards other
definitions.   Network... looks like it lets you escape the issues
with 'community', but you always have to wonder then what you are
really talking about when you are talking about a network of
people.   You hopefully have defined some way that the people are
connected, thus the network, and then the question always becomes...
is the way that people are connected 'real' or an artifact of the
research.  frequently, I find that when people say there is a
network, I could disagree by saying the way that you operationalize
the network is insufficiently rich and lacks the capacity to really
indicate connection and all you really have mapped is 'x person has
talked to y person' or 'x person reports that they share interest z
with y person'.   In the end, the theory has to map onto the
empirical evidence, and not extend it.

While I appreciate your addition of additional theoretical terms from
'social theory', i tend to think that they are actually more
methodological terms, and specific ones from a tradition that has its
followers on the list.

here's a thought if you want to really deal with social theory, throw
out 'methodological individualism' and figure out a way of actually
analyzing the collective.  once that is done, then the social will be
analyzed in a way that is far more profound and perhaps more real.
perhaps then you would also be able to sufficiently distinguish a
local community from its contexts?

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu