[Air-l] CMC, network of networks

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 26 08:57:51 PDT 2006

I believe that Roxanne Hiltz and Murray Turoff were first/early users of
"Computer Mediated Communication" (CMC) in the first edition of
Hiltz, S. Roxanne, and Murray Turoff. 1978. The Network Nation. Reading,
MA: Addison-Wesley.

Yup, that's before some list members were born. (But I don't have the book
handy.)

THeir Network Nation title was consciously adopted from Paul Craven and my
"The Network City" paper (1973).
Which also introduced "network of networks" well before the Internet.

And which may have begat "THe Network Society" (Castells, 1996), and
certainly begat Tracy Kennedy and my "The Network Household" (2007; ICS)
and my "networked individualism" (2000; IJURR)

As far as CMC/ICT, I've been increasingly using ICT because it encompasses
information as well as communication. (Of course, info has to be
communicated to be useful.)

My sense is that the CSCW crowd still uses CMC a fair amount.
Talk about anachronisms -- CSCW sure is a misleading one. But yet there is
an annual conference.

Everything old is new again.

 Barry

      You're invited to visit & contribute to the new version of
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php