[Air-l] Upcoming conferences/publications of interest

John Postill jpostill at usa.net
Wed Jul 19 16:06:22 PDT 2006

9th European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA) Biennial Conference:
Bristol, UK, 18-21 September 2006

Workshop 13 (W013)

Understanding media practices

Convenor(s)

John Postill (Sheffield Hallam University) jpostill at usa.net
Birgit Bräuchler (Asia Research Institute, NUS) birgitbraeuchler at gmx.net

This workshop will explore the current state of the anthropological study of
media practices and what directions it may take in future (An EASA Media
Anthropology Network Workshop).

Long Abstract

In recent years, anthropologists have taken a great interest in the study of
media. A plethora of ethnographic studies, three media anthropology readers,
one historical survey of this research area and the EASA Media Anthropology
Network are some examples of this growing interest. Although this area of
research is marked by a high degree of theoretical and empirical diversity,
most anthropologists working in it concentrate their efforts on the study of
'media practices', including practices of visual representation, telework, TV
production and consumption, news making, radio drama, biomedicine, online
dating, web forums, cyberactivism, e-government, blogging and text messaging.
Drawing on these kinds of case studies, this workshop is aimed at exploring
the current state of the anthropological study of media practices, and what
directions it may take in future. Contributors may wish to address questions
such as: What do we actually mean by 'media practices'? What are the key
theoretical and methodological problems attending their study? How do
different theories of practice aid or hinder anthropological analyses of media
practices? In what ways do different media practices overlap with one another
and with non-media practices? How can we begin to map and theorise the
bewildering diversification of media practices in recent years?

Chair: John Postill and Birgit Bräuchler
Discussant: Mark Hobart

http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa06/easa06_panels.php?PanelID=27