[Air-l] CMC, ICT, digital communication

Irina Shklovski irinas+ at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 24 11:30:32 PDT 2006

I guess it depends on whether we are trying to focus on communication
specifically, or on technology use in general? ICT (or information and
communication technologies) sort of becomes an umbrella term for all
things that allow us to communicate and access information - very useful
when talking about phones, internet and everything in between. Yet if we
are talking specifically about communication between people, information
access becomes a tricky thing to explain - does googling for information
about a car or the location of a restaurant on a computer or a cell
phone qualify? Lately, I've been using simply "mediated communication"
as an umbrella term, I guess because it gets away from words like
"online" - which to me seems to signify a computer and rules out a
regular landline phone, or "networked" - which to me seems to be an even
more ambiguous and relatively overused term. Maybe "mediated
communication" is a bit too broad, but I've been using it to define any
kind of communication between people that is not face-to-face
communication - i.e. mediated by some medium.

Irina

--

I was even thinking a little about the future, that place
where people are doing a dance we cannot imagine,