[Air-l] CMC, ICT, digital communication

Christopher J. Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Mon Jul 24 13:20:19 PDT 2006

Umbrella terms can be useful in certain contexts, but virtually by
definition they are also vague, ambiguous and abstract--the more so the
bigger the umbrella.

Ambiguity is not necessarily a bad thing (it is one basis for the
effectiveness of poetry), and in any case is inevitable in
communication.  We can minimize it by defining how we each use a
specific term in our specific writings.  But as far as trying to get all
the rest of us to agree on the specific correct term, or the precise
meaning of such a term . . . . it may make for a good discussion process
(or a flame war), but I think is unlikely to yield a product.

Christopher J. Richter
Assoc. Prof. & Chair, Communication Studies
Hollins University
P.O. Box 9652
Roanoke VA, 24020
Tel. 5403626358