[Air-l] Social software and ICT on Wikipedia

paolo massa massa at itc.it
Wed Jul 26 09:14:54 PDT 2006

I found the blog post "Tracing the Evolution of Social Software" [1],
published on October 13, 2004, very interesting.
It starts with "The term 'social software', which is now used to
define software that supports group interaction, has only become
relatively popular within the last two or more years. However, the
core ideas of social software itself enjoy a much longer history,
running back to Vannevar Bush's ideas about 'memex' in 1945, and
traveling through terms such as Augmentation, Groupware, and CSCW in
the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.
By examining the many terms used to describe today's 'social software'
we can also explore the origins of social software itself, and see how
there exists a very real life cycle concerning the use of technical
terminology."

So here there is one more term "social software", luckly enough nobody
mentioned "Web2.0" [2] yet ... ouch! ;-)

And about ICT, you might like to know that there is no page for ICT on
Wikipedia, in fact the "Information and communication technology"
Wikipedia page [3] redirects to the "Information technology" Wikipedia
page. Of course I'm not saying that if something is not on Wikipedia
then that something does not exist but simply that someone might want
to edit the Wikipedia pages related to the many concepts we are
discussing on this mailing list, such as for example the CMC one [4]

P.

[1] http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2004/10/tracing_the_evo.html
[2] http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_and_communication_technology