[Air-l] Social software and ICT on Wikipedia

William Dutton William.Dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 13:12:02 PDT 2006

As Paolo Massa and Barry Wellman point out, all of these terms -- ICT,
new media, CMC, etc -- are anchored in specific research programmes,
historical periods, and technologies. They are not interchangeable.
While it would be great to improve Wikipedia, I suggest that a useful
source might be a book by Loader and others, which is part of the Key
Concepts series of Routledge. It is a 2004 publication, but this
discussion might encourage them to update Cyberculture: Key Concepts.
See: http://informationr.net/ir/reviews/revs143.html

In my opinion, these terms matter, so its great to see that a single
post has generated such a stir around the meaning of closely related by
distinct terms.

Bill