[Air-l] India Rejects One Laptop Per Child

Heshan Sun hesun at syr.edu
Thu Jul 27 05:24:27 PDT 2006

I really think an "One Glass of Milk Per Child Per Day Project" (hypothetic)
is much better and more realistic than the "One Laptop Per Child Project"
for MOST of the children in the world. Within the "Five Minutes to
Midnight", it's better for a child to drink a glass of milk rather than
suffering on an inaccessible Internet or learn how to work with Excel. I am
serious, Wojciech, milk is still a luxury thing for many children in the
world.
Computer skills are not the only thing composing the "employability skills".
Actually, there are still many workers (even knowledge workers) in the world
who do not need computer skills at all in order to be employed. What is
needed may be a better education of mathematics or language.
Simply criticizing something without fully understanding the context and
from only one perspective is dangerous and actually sometimes funny. It's
like the little prince who asked "why don't these starving people eat meat
if they do not have bread?"
As a people work on "Youth on human rights", Wojciech should really go to
rural areas in India or western China to do a homework on what people
different from him really need and what satisfy their needs better, and more
importantly, what we can provide, rather than simply laughing at their
lacking of "foresights".
Good luck to you and too all children in the world.
Heshan