[Air-l] conceptual lexicon

DENISECARTER at denisecarter.net DENISECARTER at denisecarter.net
Fri Jul 28 04:51:53 PDT 2006

surely community is not obsolete - but merely changing - it remains, as ever, 'a
slippery concept' - as I have written in previous articles:

"So what is community? Amit and Rapport (2002) sum it up by explaining that the
term community is one of the most difficult and ambiguous terms in the social
sciences.  Implying that community only continues to exist in general usage
because it evokes ‘a thick assortment of meanings, presumptions and images’
(Amit and Rapport, 2002: 13), they conceptualise it as possessing an emotional
resonance rather than a utilitarian one.  Considering it a ‘slippery notion’
(Amit and Rapport, 2002: 14), they suggest on the one hand that the notion of
community is too vague and too variable to be of much use as an analytical
tool, and on the other that the appeal of community is dependant on tensions
between what they call ‘experiences of sociality’ and ‘platitudes of collective
belonging’ (Amit and Rapport, 2002: 14)"

Dr Denise Maia Carter,
Research Fellow,
Cyberspace Research Unit
University of Central Lancashire