[Air-l] Open Source Software and Civil Society

serena.tommasino at utoronto.ca serena.tommasino at utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 29 20:53:57 PDT 2006

Hi,

for FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Adoption in the Civil Society sector
see the work by Gabriella Coleman, University of Chicago on ‘The Politics of
Open Source Adoption, NGO's in the Developing World’
www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index.php?title=NGOs_in_the_Developing_World

Such Report is part of the POSA Project (Politics of Open Source Adoption)
lunched by the SSRC (Social Science Research Council).
POSA aims at investigate on how the FOSS adoption is increasingly a matter of
politics and public policy and how it is becoming embedded in political arenas
and policy debates. www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index.php?title=Main_Page

You may also want to look at G. Caruso’ work on the WSF 2004 (World Social
Forum) and the Politics of FOSS Adoption in the Global Civil Society
www.ephemeraweb.org/journal/5-2/5-2caruso.pdf

See also the UNDP’s IOSN (International Open Source Network) www.iosn.net and
the FOSS and CSOs Forum at http://foss4us.org/

In particular, Asia is moving fast ahead in the task of building bridges between
non-profits and FOSS. In such regard see the ‘LinuxWorld Philippines 2005’, held
in mid-September, and the initiative ‘FOSS Road' held on October 2005, to
promote utilization of FOSS in activities of public organizations, educational
establishment and civil society actors. www.tacticaltech.org/fossroad

If of any interest a meeting organized by the UN Secretariat and the UNCTAD will
be held at United Nations Headquarter in NewYork on 29 August 2006, on the use
of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in United Nations' programmes and at the
UN itself. www.unctad.org/sections/wcmu/docs/site_ieb_notif08-06_en.pdf

Cheers,
Serena Tommasino

"McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology"
Faculty of Information Studies at The University of Toronto
39A Queen’s Park Crescent East, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2C3
http://www.utoronto.ca/mcluhan/