[Air-l] CMC, ICT, digital communication

Mark Bell typewritermark at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 09:00:02 PDT 2006

Folks,

As far as I have been told, CMC is an outdated term. One professor told me
it was archaic and vague - asking if we should also refer to "pen mediated
communication". There certainly is a lot of research into how we communicate
in the digital, multi-channel, immersive environment, so we should have a
unifying term.

It sounds like we need a new term but I agree digital communication and ICT
are far too broad. The work I am doing with Wikipedia is definitely
stigmergic in nature (or at least I hope to prove it is) but that is very
different from IM or email.

On 7/24/06, Martin Garthwaite <marting at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jillana,
>
> I would agree, if you look at a time line, I remember reading about CMC
> over
> 15 years ago, and I'll go out on a limb here and say that quite a lot of
> the
> research on CMC was done pre-mass adoption of Internet. So services like
> CompuServe, CIX and AOL that provided walled gardens that were not
> originally part of the Internet. CMC also referred to mailing lists like
> this one, e-mail, usenet groups, all these systems were pre-html
> technologies.
>
> ICT appears to me to be a catch all term, and I find digital communication
> little ambiguous.
>
> Martin.
> m.k.garthwaite at lse.ac.uk
> MSc candidate media at lse
>
> On 7/24/06, Jillana Enteen <jillana at jillana.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to sort out the differences in etymology and meaning
> > between CMC, ICT and digital communication. I'm having a hard time--
> > other than recognizing the academic/educational basis for ICT and its
> > roots in IT, it seems to me that these terms are used interchangeably.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > best wishes, jillana
> > Jillana Enteen
> > jillana at jillana.net

> > http://www.aoir.org/
> >

> --
> Martin Garthwaite
>
> +447957 764819
> +4420 7871 9656 (Skypein - call me and wherever in the world I am I'll
> either talk to you or get a voice mail)
> Skype id mgarthwaite1330
> MS IM marting at gmail.com

Mark Bell
MA student in Ball State University's Digital Storytelling program
http://www.storygeek.com
"The future is here...it's just not widely distributed." - Tim O'Reilly