[Air-l] CMC, ICT, digital communication

Jillana Enteen jillana at jillana.net
Tue Jul 25 06:40:17 PDT 2006

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I'm eager to see how the
discussion continues.

Hans' suggestion to look at the Information Society is particularly
interesting--especially since the journal cannot be accessed online
for one year after it's publication date (the reason: embargo--i'd
love to hear the explanation). The inaccessibility of a journal about
online communication and "information" speaks volumes to the general
discussion about appropriate terms--and what we expect of online
communication and information.

I do think it's necessary to find an umbrella term to talk about
digital networked communication (I use this term tentively)--one that
takes into account that we cannot anticipate how what we
"communicate," (and here, coming from a post-structuralist and
cultural studies background, I mean much the same as Hans--that
language cannot be transparent and communication is and cannot be
received or interpreted in ways identical to how we send it) or how
the bytes we transmit will "travel," (i.e. the route of the
information) or how they will be received. In other words,
understanding that information is transmitted digitally from
"others" (other people, other places) encourages a media-specific
term, but assuming that this term, as Charlie points out, means
computer to computer is now out of the question.

Similarly, assuming what we send will be read as we expect it--even
if you are invested in the idea that communication does occur--should
also be inherent in terminology (and thus far, is not). Think of
different browser qualities (safari verses outlook explorer or
computer versus blackberry, for instance)--what people see can vary
greatly from what is sent.

In the past, it has been useful to place television in one category
when considering broadcasting and/or spectatorship, and telephony in
another, when examining the implications of (almost) instantaneous
voice transmission.

Consequently, I find it imperative to have a category (as most have
agreed) that takes into account the increasing flexibility--where we
might as easily be watching a downloaded television show on our ipod
OR on our harddrive, networked television or talk through regular
telephones via vonage as surfing the internet--yet the way
information arrives is related. The term must maintain an awareness
of the complexity of these new vehicles for digital transmission and
increasing possible interfaces for their consumption.

This is not to discourage specific considerations--which should use
terms as specifically as possible. At this point, studying "internet
use" may be too broad--www or IRC or mobile-to-mobile SMS, located in
a particular moment and among specific users speaks more to the point.

I find it interesting, and compelling, that CMC is outdated. And as a
"former" scholar of CMC, I'm still pondering over what term might
speak best for my framework.

thanks and best wishes--
jillana
Jillana Enteen