[Air-l] India Rejects One Laptop Per Child

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Thu Jul 27 05:49:24 PDT 2006

I am a strong supporter of the OLPC project, and I also support
India's decision not to participate.

I support the OLPC project because I basically see it as an
additional low-cost hardware alternative.  I'm all for computer
equipment becoming cheaper and more accessible, rather than
exclusively targeting the high end market.  To be honest, even though
I see other aspects of technology implementation, such as teacher
development or curriculum development, as crucial, it never bothered
me that OLPC didn't provide these, because I never saw OLPC as a
single be-all, end-all, or any kind of total integrated package, but
just an additional hardware alternative.  One of the positive
benefits I predicted from OLPC is that it would put downward pressure
on the computer price market, and I think that has already occurred,
through sparking other laptop and desktop projects targetted at
low-income groups in developing countries.  OLPC also appears to be
developing some innovative design features that again might be more
broadly useful beyond this particular product (see the most recent
issue of Wired).

At the same time, while I welcome the development of OLPC and other
low-cost computing alternatives, that doesn't mean that I think any
particular country should be obligated to purchase them.   I
certainly don't know enough about the finances, context, and
educational objectives of every developing country to know which ones
might or might not reasonably benefit from such a substantial
investment in one-to-one computing for their children (including not
only the hardware, but the substantial amount of additional funds
they'd have to spend for distribution, training, curriculum
development, repair or replacement costs, etc.).  It's certainly not
surprising to me that India, which has a GDP per capita of about
$600, would reject the initiative.

In other words, my stance is Yes to OLPC and Yes to individual
countries' declining to participate in OLPC.

Finally, in answer to Jeremy's question about what happened to the
laptop project in Maine, the answer is it's still going strong.  The
program was renewed after the first four-year contract (2002-2006)
for a second four-year contract (2006-2010) for all 7th and 8th grade
students in the state. There is also a laptop program in Maine at the
high school level, but it is adopted (and funded) district by
district and is thus not universal.
Mark
--
Mark Warschauer
Associate Professor of Education and Informatics