[Air-l] Open Source Software and Civil Society

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 30 04:59:05 PDT 2006

Hello Eli Malinsky

You can read my paper written for an undergraduate course.

The title is Volunteerism, public information, and the open
regulation of the information society.

  unpublished except on the web at this URL http://www.webpagex.org/
lawvolinternet.htm

I quote some of the books by scholars probably on this list serve in
this paper.

Open source is only briefly described but is brought through a filter
of Lessig's "Code" and his biased views as I see him. He is lawyer
who jumped on the Internet bandwagon IMHO But then I would say most
lawyers of technology who concentrate on Intellectual property these
days are useless.

More important to my thesis in that paper is that the Internet will
always remain a volunteer run network thus a piece of civil society.