[Air-l] One Laptop Per Child

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Wed Jun 7 19:08:46 PDT 2006

Elijah wrote,

> I'm not certain that you can claim that they're technologically inferior
> to Western technology, as they *are* Western technology.  ;)  I do think I
> know what you meant, in the other sense of those words, too, and still
> don't find the argument compelling.
>
> If we can build a perfectly usable 500Mhz laptop for a hundred bucks that
> runs the *state of the art* in available software - that is to say, the
> very same software (or its close kin, modified for the hardware of the
> laptop) that is on my desktop here in Indiana - what's the use of having a
> $3k "Western" desktop machine?

I agree. What was interesting was the original post implied that somehow
these laptops are inferior because they lack a hard drive. While the
capacity of the drives is somewhat limited, flash drives are the next
generation storage solution. Pretty cutting edge. At least Samsung thinks so

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1966644,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

We might also revise our notion of what "state of the art" software
means. The developers for the $100 laptop are working to create a very
user-friendly software environment specifically tailored for the
classroom. When I read Tom Hoffman and Chris Blizzard's discussion of
the chat application and the way in which the software will allow
students to create and share content, I see a machine that may be much
superior for getting students discussing and collaborating than what
comes stock from Dell or any of the other computer vendors (for many
thousand more):

http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2006/05/001414.php
http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=200

Charlie Lowe