[Air-l] World Cup, SMS & email

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 10 14:59:20 PDT 2006

I'm sitting at the Docas in Lisbon, having just taught a 2-day intensive
writing lab. Watching the World Cup.

After the game was over (Argentina 2, Ivory Coast 1), the Portuguese
commentators came on.

But what fascinated me was the crawl at the bottom, CNN-like.
It contained email messages from Portuguese fans cheering their team on
for tommorw's game. Email was free; SMS was 0.80 euros. The messages kept
coming and coming, from all over Portugal. I checked as best as I could --
no repeats. So now one can do electronic cheering.

PS: Tomorrow's game is Portugal vs former colony of Angola.
 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php