[Air-l] comparative cross-national diffusion of the internet

catherine middleton catherine.middleton at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 11 19:55:11 PDT 2006

Hi Nik,

Take a look at the International Telecommunication Union's Internet Reports
The Internet Story: ITU Internet Reports 1997-2003,
http://www.itu.int/pub/S-POL-IR.ISTORY-2005/en

International Telecommunication Union. (2005). The internet of
things. Geneva: ITU.
International Telecommunication Union. (2004). The portable internet.
Geneva: ITU.
International Telecommunication Union. (2003). Birth of broadband. Geneva: ITU.

Also look at the Promoting Broadband website. The various country
case studies provide background information on general internet
adoption, not just broadband.
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/promotebroadband/

You may find some OECD publications useful too, e.g OECD
communications outlook. Paris: OECD., published every other year
(2005, 2003, etc.)

For Canada, the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Road
Map provides a detailed account of ICT initiatives in Canada.
http://www3.fis.utoronto.ca/research/iprp/cracin/policy/e-policy_map.html

CA*Net Institute. (2001). A nation goes online. Ottawa: CANARIE.
http://www.canarie.ca/press/publications/ango.pdf

I've got a searchable bibliography of references on internet
(especially broadband) adoption at
http://www.broadbandresearch.ca/endnote/endnote.php. The interface
isn't perfect, but you might find something useful by searching
"anywhere" on isp or adoption or picking a specific country name.

Good luck with this research.

catherine middleton