[Air-l] Students or spammers -- the background

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Mon Jun 12 11:45:57 PDT 2006

Thanks, Holly, for all your work!

I wonder if it was an assignment to post to a listserv in some class.
Back in the late 90s, I used to require my students to join a listserv
(I teach internet writing), but I knew better even then than to ask
them to post to it.  Many did anyway, barely ever even understanding
that the idea was to *learn* about language used in communities rather
than *spout* language that they thought would enlighten the list.

If the students are reading our discussions about them, they should
understand that the first requirement of being on a listserv is to read
through archives if you don't have enough time to wait and lurk.
You're not *contributing* to a conversation if you are just dropping
information with no context.

In the meantime, I had started putting their email addresses on my
delete filter, but I don't want to automatically delete every email
that comes in from Korea!!

:-D.
Deanya