[Air-l] Korean students

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 13 10:26:00 PDT 2006

Hi Han,

Thanks for clearing this up. I actually had an intuition that you were a
part of this work, and I think its a sensible idea.  (And I learned a little
about the many new ICT developments in Korea)

I think a lot of this the wearisome discussion could have been avoided with
a little dose of social networks and cultural capital. That is to say,
people who introduce themselves on academic lists often state where they are
coming from and why they are posting.

If you repeat this exercise, why not get students to learn how to make an
introduction, such as "I'm working with Dr. X" or "I'm an undergraduate at X
university studying Internet and society"? It serves your initial purpose
and enables the students to work on the more subtle cultural mechanisms used
by the reader to evaluate who this message is coming from and why it is
relevant.

I'm posting this publicly to open up a discussion...how do we teach
undergraduates the soft skills of distribution lists? What are the soft
skills of distribution lists?

Take care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
PhD Student
NetLab, Knowledge Media Design Institute
University of Toronto

I received a message from Han Woo PARK (Dr) at approximately 6/13/06 12:41
PM. Above is my reply.