[Air-l] One Laptop Per Child

Sam Ladner saml at criticalmass.com
Wed Jun 7 06:02:57 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm not a frequent contributor to this list but I feel I must weigh in
here.

I agree with the notion that inequality is, by default, wrong.
Stratification, however, is a function of human social organization.
Inequality, by contrast, results from the inevitable political struggles
of stratification. Those with power try desperately to hold onto power
in a variety of ways - why even Dr. Seuss's star-bellied sneeches
attempted to "distinguish" (read: Bourdieu) themselves by *removing*
their stars. One can imagine that no Western child would be caught
*dead* with one of these laptops (too down-market).

So what's going on here with this laptop issue? Well I believe it is
rather ham-fisted to suggest that it is inequality-driving. Neither
technology nor political economy is determinant here. Directional, yes,
absolutely, but simply because a child in Senegal receives a $100 laptop
does not mean she will experience increased inequality.

That said, however, Jocelyn's point is important: all too often
"technology transfer" is not at all knowledge transfer, thereby
exacerbating the digital divide. Knowledge about technology is critical
in regional innovation; it cannot be exploited locally without such
knowledge.

So my long-winded argument here is to suggest a more nuanced notion of
this idea that such laptops result in inequality. Laptops-in-themselves
do not create inequality; yet, they have a way of "revealing" (read:
Heidegger) the world to that girl in Senegal that will render her
experience inferior, unintelligible and likely, unequal.

Sam Ladner
Ph.D. (c), Sociology, York University
Senior Analyst, Critical Mass, Toronto