[Air-l] Another Tip Re: Korean students

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Tue Jun 13 18:17:19 PDT 2006

I am sure that the students concerned are learning a LOT about the uses
of the Internet :). Interesting how discussions ABOUT spam can be as
substantial as the spam itself ;).

Speaking of pedagogy, we are thinking a lot here at Curtin in Internet
Studies about how much students do or don't need to engage with things
like lists and how to get them to understand and appreciate the
relationship between older forms of the internet (usenet, IRC, lists)
and some of the things they now do without thinking they are special. I
recall the sense of excitement and enthusiasm students of mine in the
mid- late 1990s had when we talked about ftp and telnet, and got them to
sign up to lists etc. It all seems rather dull now for many students :(

Dr Matthew Allen
Associate Professor in Internet Studies
President Association of Internet Researchers
Faculty of Media Society and Culture
Curtin University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J
http://smi.curtin.edu.au/NetStudies/allen.htm