[Air-l] network size and internet use

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 28 12:31:09 PDT 2006

Yes, people with larger networks do use the internet more.

We have only cross-sectional data. We don't know which way the causal
arrow goes -- in fact, I suspect a positive feedback loop.

larger nets > more internet use
more internet use > larger nets

See Jeffrey Boase, et al., "The Strength of Internet Ties" on the Pew
Internet website. Jan 25 2006.

See also Wellman & Hogan, et al., "Connected Lives: The Project" in
Patrick Purcell's new book (Springer), _Networked Neighbourhoods)_.

My website/publications has links to both of these pieces.
 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php