[Air-l] netcraft question

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Sat Jun 10 14:49:57 PDT 2006

All,

In the site report of a specific url it lists the country. Sometimes this does not correspond with the nameserver nor the stated "location" for the website.

For example, de.indymedia.org (Germany) has a Nameserver "ns2.riseup.net" which is owned by a Seattle organization and is flagged as US.

But, liege.indymedia.org (Belgium) also has the Nameserver "ns2.riseup.net" which is owned by a Seattle organization but is flagged Belgium.

What does this mean?

Is the server location indicated by the flagging/nationality? Or is the location indicated by the nameserver/owneing org?

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington