[Air-l] overstated media inference from fine study

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 24 07:02:59 PDT 2006

Re the Washington Post story below (and a similar USA Today story):

To my mind, it's an interesting case of media distortion.

The good news: the accounts are based on a high-quality survey (US General
Social Survey)  by first-class reseachers (Lynn Smith-Lovin & Miller
McPherson) + Matthew Brashaers whom I don't know, in sociology's leading
journal, American Sociological Review. I was a referee on this paper, btw,
and revealed myself at appropriate time to the authors.

The study replicates one stimulus Q from the General Social Survey 20
years ago about who do you have to discuss important matters with. It
finds a mean of about 2 in 2004, down from 3 in 1984 (or was it 1985)?

Here's the problem:

Based on this, the 2 newspapers have created a huge social isolation spin
on this, when it's well known that people have lotsa ties, not just 2 or
3. See our data from Pew Internet, Connected Lives study) + lotsa others.
Indeed, altho we are not as parallel as the US GSS, comparing Connected
Lives (3rd East York study, 2004) with the second East York study (1979
data) shows more active ties now, both intimate and significant ties.

Thus the media spin is a huge inferential leap from a decline in the
super-core ties to saying Americans are socially isolated.

If you read further in the Washington Post and USA Today articles, you'll
see me quoted as suggesting that we now have more ties -- and more contact
with ties -- but that relationships are differentiated. In other words,
the relative decline in discussion partners shouldn't be generalized to
either absolute isolation or even growing isolation.

Of course, YMMV.