[Air-l] comparative cross-national diffusion of the internet

Nik John nikjohn at mscc.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 8 06:41:57 PDT 2006

Plenty of histories of the Internet in the US have been written. Much has
been said on the variables that it is claimed predict rates of Internet
adoption in other countries around the world. However, I'm interested in
when different countries first hooked up and especially when the first
commercial ISPs started operating in different countries.
Can anyone give me that information for the country they live in? Or direct
me to historical reviews of the network in various countries?
For what it's worth, I'm doing quite a micro-level, STS-style analysis of
the appearance of the Internet in the context of Israel, a relatively early
adopter, as far as I can tell. Any leads or information will be much
appreciated!
Nik

Nicholas John, PhD Candidate
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Home: 03 578 1993
Mobile: 054 7609073