[Air-l] One Laptop Per Child

David Brake d.r.brake at lse.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 15:26:01 PDT 2006

I have come late to this discussion and since I had been meaning to
blog about this anyway I took advantage of this opportunity to
resurrect a collection of links I collected back in November and add
some comments of my own. You can find my thoughts and a number of
relevant links on the Media at LSE weblog here:

http://groupblog.workasone.net/archives/2006/06/the-100-laptop-debate/

In brief, much of the criticism of the OLPC project is for reasons I
agree with but some seemed a little doctrinaire. This is not an
'inferior' technology as Christian Fuchs suggests - it is an
appropriate one. Even if 'conventional' laptops costing ten times as
much were made available in the countries where the OLPC will be
trialled, they would arguably be less useful as they would be less
durable and would rely on more expensive components and software.
These laptops will not tie their users in to Western commercial
technology and standards as Christian fears (at least not any more
than they are already) because they are based solidly on open source
software. And rightly or wrongly these are not aimed at the countries
whose inhabitants live on $2 a day - they are aimed at middle-ranking
developing countries like China, India and Brazil which have enough
money to consider this kind of investment in their children (though I
would still argue that this major sum spent in 'conventional' ways on
teachers or books would yield a better result).

As for Jeremy's concern that no effort is going into teacher training
and support, I am a little more optimistic - since pilot
organizations will be investing a lot of money (relative to their
budgets) on these devices I would hope some of them at least will
devote some careful thought to the issues that Jeremy and others
pointed out and turn deaf ears to the OLPC team's assurances that
these are pure 'machines for learning' - no teacher input required.

---
David Brake, Doctoral Student in Media and Communications, London
School of Economics & Political Science
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/study/
mPhilPhDMediaAndCommunications.htm>
Also see http://davidbrake.org/ (home page), http://blog.org/
(personal weblog) and http://get.to/lseblog (academic groupblog)
Author of Dealing With E-Mail - <http://davidbrake.org/
dealingwithemail/>
callto://DavidBrake (Skype.com's Instant Messenger and net phone)