[Air-l] Korean students

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 10:53:33 PDT 2006

Hi, Han,

Should have known it was you ;).

I think an earlier poster mentioned that it was not uncommon in the
bad old days of the web to assign students to contribute to online
discussions in order to better understand the dynamic. Of course, each
listserv has its own culture, and its own norms, that has evolved over
time. That's why it is essential that new members "lurk" long enough
to have a good understanding of the culture.

Assigning students to *lurk* on AIR-L seems entirely appropriate.
Assigning them to *post* on AIR-L, whether undergrads or grads, native
speakers or not, seems ill-advised. One of the reasons AIR-L has
lasted so long without some of the turmoil found on other lists is
that it manages to have a fairly low volume of material, and it tends
to be reasonably relevant. The average list member has *never* posted
a message to the list. There are about 1600 people on AIR-L, and so
posting really is pretty limited.

So, and this is a personal position, not speaking for the Association,
my thought is that such exercises may not be such a good idea.

Best,

Alex

--
//