[Air-l] email lists was Re: Another Tip Re: Korean students

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Tue Jun 13 20:44:08 PDT 2006

The important thing I think is that if you lurk on a list long enough,
you'll understand whether you "fit in" to it or not; that's the point
about online communities that the students missed.  They didn't listen
for long enough; that's the same reason why I quit using this kind of
assignment.  My students never really read the messages on the lists
that I had them subscribe to.

It's about "entering" a conversation, not just posting information.
The students could have created weblog pages with their product reviews
and generated real interest from real readers.  Listserv assignments,
on the other hand, make better "reading" assignments than "writing"
ones for undergrads especially, IMOHO.

Deanya