[Air-l] Americans and social isolation

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Fri Jun 23 21:04:44 PDT 2006

The article is being published in the new American Sociological Review.
  Both JSTOR and IngentaConnect carry ASR.

I'm fairly convinced that the internet is a response to a felt need for
connection that has been lacking since the 1970s "get an education and
leave home to get a job far away from anyone and everything you've ever
known" commuter mentality that I hope has reached its apex.

The internet, in my mind, is a way to reconnect, after years of many of
us not even knowing our neighbors' names.

:-D.
Deanya