[Air-l] teens and myspace

Nicola Doering Nicola.Doering at tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Mar 1 07:54:43 PST 2006

>>I think it is essential to remember that the history of personal media
>>did not start with computer-mediated communication. Avid users of the
>>telephone were hardly stigmatized, were they? Women chatting on the
>>telephone were at least perceived as anything but anti-social

> My understanding is that there were actually a lot of concerns that
> women chattering on the telephone would lead to lesser participation
> in their communities/nation/etc. and that in fact the social use of
> the telephone was seen as a threat at the time.

yes, very much so.

Check out for instance:

Lasen, A. (2005). History repeating? A comparison of the launch and uses
of fixed and mobile phones. In L. Hamill & A. Lasen (Eds.), Mobile
World. Past, Present and Future (pp. 29-60). Springer.

At the time of fixed phone invention (1880-1920) many disadvantages of
the telephone were discussed. They do resemble very much recent concerns
regarding computer-mediated communication or mobile communication
(neglect of f2f communication, addiction, sexual solicitation / obscene
contacts, crime, stress etc.).

Nicola.

--
http://www.nicola-doering.de/