[Air-l] deconstructed and misconstrued

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 2 08:07:32 PST 2006

I've been deconstructed and miscontrued by a commentator on my "levels of
writing piece in the last digest.

In it, I said "we reach into the humanities."
The commentator thought I meant "we" meaning me.

Nope. I meant "We" (being AOIR) includes the humanities.

>From being on the exec, I recall that the majority (perhaps the great
majority of AoIR members are in the social sciences. But that the
membership reaches into (includes) many humanities scholars.

Some such scholars, from another post, apparently "perform gender" with
elan at night-;)
Although the example given was a within-discipline one (no double entendre
really intended), in which jargon can be useful if that's what your
"performativity" requires.

Indeed, a couple I know, reports making love using F10 and F7 commands
from Word Perfect for DOS! (RIP.) However, no Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V occurred.

 Barry