[Air-l] Technology for interviews

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Fri Mar 3 08:01:53 PST 2006

Maria,

Do I ever wish there was such technology!

Although there certainly are ways to record voice digitally (I'll leave the
details to those of you who are far more tech savvy then me), there is no
reliable way to have, say, voice recognition software transcribe the digitally
recorded voice into text. Voice recognition software requires training, and
each unique voice requires another round of training for the software to
recognize that voice. Even then, there are still errors. Whenever there's
background interference (rustling papers, a closing door), it messes up the
"recognition."

I have heard of programs that will, for example, transcribe into text what is
being broadcast on television. So, if one wanted to have quick transcripts of
what ABC was broadcasting in New York city, software could provide that
transcript. However, it works terribly. My alma mater investigated such a
program, and decided against it because it was too unreliable (and if memory
serves, supremely expensive).

I'm sorry I don't have better news. It really would be nice to side-step the
transcription process (she says as she looks over at her transcription
machine, which has a tape in it in need of transcribing . . . .).

~Jenny

--
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication, SS 340