[Air-l] Colorado Study

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell wrc at tcfir.org
Thu Mar 9 20:42:17 PST 2006

The original purpose of the Colorado Study was to identify differences that
may arise from rural vs urban populations. It also was a test of the
methodology. The results were a surprise to me.

I offered the rough summary as a discussion point and a seeming
contradiction to opinions in the discussion "Teen and Myspace. I also asked
if anyone knew of current studies that reported different results. I have
not found any "current" study that empirically ascribes "stigma" to an
excessive level of Internet use. As the result of these findings we decided
to do three more identical studies in other states.

The sample was chosen from a database of 2.5 million email addresses first
by state, then by age range. While gender was available it was not a
selection criterion for the sample.

When I stated "insignificant gender differences" I meant the results appear
to be statistically insignificant based on gender.

I do not pretend to know what this entire study means. We are attempting to
make sense of the results, as I write.

I will reveal that we did not use a 2 choice model. In most cases we used a
5 choice model. In cases when respondents were asked to indicate intervals
of use we used a 7 choice model. In the 5 choice model there was a neutral
position. In the 7 choice model there was a "not at all" choice.

The thing that surprised me the most is the number of respondents in the
sample of 2000.

We built in some fairly stringent tests of internal validity and have not
analyzed those results.

As I said in the initial list-serv email, when we run the survey in the
other three states we will publish in the website for my research center.

Reid

  _____

Dr. W. Reid Cornwell
The Center For Internet Research