[Air-l] AoIR in Latin-America - a new mailing list (subset of AoIR's main list)

Suely Fragoso suely at unisinos.br
Sun Mar 19 05:46:19 PST 2006

Natpoor (!) has a point.
I am used to try to predict objections, so I had considered that beforehand. I believe that, as moderator of the LA-Air list, I should transfer all important discussions which extrapolate the reach of that sublist to the main AiR list (translated to English - if my writing still deserves that denomination after 10 years back in Brazil). I also intend to send brief summaries of whatever is said and discussed in the LA list to AoIR Exec and/or to main AoIR list whenever applicable.

I sent a message to some Brazilian mailing lists inviting people to join LA-AiR and warned that I would be doing that, so no-one feels 'betrayed' that I 'gossip' in one list about another. It can be a good idea to maintain everyone informed of this potential flow of info between lists (I tried to do it by stating clearly that LA list is a subset of the main AiR list, perharps this is not enough)

Next predictable objection is that I will function as a gatekeeper between the world of LA list and the main AiR list. That does not hold, as any member will be as able to mention what happens in one list on the other one as much as I will.

News from LA list so far are, btw, none :(

Sue

>>> jhuns at vt.edu 19/03/06 1:20 >>>
It hasn't happened that way yet...   the large network effects occur
on the main list still.  smaller, tighter networks have always
existed off the main air-l list.  i don't see this as a change of any
sort in that regard, but i do see it as a great opportunity for those
people who want to develop the LA-AIR lists.   keep in mind, we
already have several other lists, mostly topical, but some to do work.
On Mar 18, 2006, at 11:12 PM, natpoor at umich.edu wrote:

> uhm, just a thought, but what if I think there might be an unfortunate
> side to this, since, greedy for knowledge as I am, and a believer in
> the overly-utopian "the Internet will join us all in to one humanity
> regardless of language" thing, does this mean that the AIR list
> will be
> losing cool discussions to the LA-AIR list? (and maybe there will be
> people who are on LA-AIR and not AIR?)
>
> es verdad que no puedo entender mucho espanol... pero...
>
> ok, I could subscribe... but what about those who are only on one of
> the lists? we're losing the network effects!!!
>
> el doctor pobre

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal