[Air-l] Citation Managers - Alternatives to Endnote/CiteULike/... ?

Baden Hughes badenh at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Mar 19 13:47:10 PST 2006

I use JabRef (Java based open source tool, jabref.sf.net) which stores
references in BibTex - suitable for my preferred authoring environment
LaTeX, but allows import/export in numerous formats for when I'm
writing with Word templates. JabRef allows you to create quotations as
part of the bibliographic record, and has a very effective search
mechanism. There are many styles for presenting a BibTeX based
bibliography, including APA, MLA and others. JabRef also allows for
multiple URLs for the same resource: typically I print to full text PDF
and store locally with a URI, plus reference the remote source. For my
local copy, I use Terrier (http://ir.dcs.gla.ac.uk/terrier/) as the search
tool (unerstands binary formats like doc, pdf). YMMV.

baden