[Air-l] English as a Language for International Communication

Suely Fragoso suely at unisinos.br
Mon Mar 20 06:07:23 PST 2006

I really think we are complicating a very simple matter here. English is the most widely known second language, and its users are highly spread out in the planet. That is why international communications tend to happen in English nowadays... Why is it so? Well, there are many interesting causes (historical, sociological, linguistic even) Some of them appear to be annoying for several non-English speakers, but I propose that we target the issue of how to make international communications  possible/effective nowadays for now.
I will offer myself as an example (centered in belly-button, eh?): I can read 6 languages, but rarely get a chance to speak anything but English with most foreigners I meet. I remember talking to  several interesting researchers last year in Chicago: Dutch, Croatian, French... if we were to communicate, we had to find a common language, one all of us knew, and that was English. It would have been absurd to propose that everyone spoke in their native tongue - or, better to say, it would only make sense as an exercise of semiotics and after the 4th or 5th drink at the reception :)

I proposed the AoIR Latino (as Michel brilliantly nicknamed it) list to be 3-lingual because I suppose that every academic whose native tongue is Spanish or Portuguese can read texts on the other language, as they are very similar. I can also suppose that everyone in AoIR can read English (because conferences language is English and the main AoIR list is in English as well). However, the pluriliguistic approach would  not be applicable to the main AoIR list: please people, do not start writing in Croatian or Japanese and I promise not to write in Portuguese either! It should be enough revenge on the linguistic imperialists that we murder their language writing it so badly ;)

Sue

>>> japeks at hotmail.com 20/03/06 0:21 >>>
I concur Nathaniel,

Although there may be a lot of problems with English-only approach we have
no practical choice either. We use English because this is where the action
is. The problem gets only more compounded by issues of culture and identity:
non-English scholars may find themselves comparing their work to that of
English-only audience and get very little in return. Those who read text
translated from English in their native language, (not only Japanese, why
would it be different in any other language?) may not always appreciate and
seek value in their own neck of the woods following models from the
English-speaking world, not always helpful and even less reflective of their
own realities.

Jarek Janio
Santiago Canyon College
Orange, California