[Air-l] Christians against MySpace?

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Wed Mar 29 12:51:23 PST 2006

Pastors are speaking out against MySpace during their services.
(I've copied an article below to give the sentiments - it seems to
have been taken offline.)  That said, there are huge Christian
contingents on MySpace, including many religious teens who share
Christian rock music and discuss bible studies in their profiles.
Other social networking sites are popping up and attracting religious
teens, including YFly.com.

Pastor airs problem with MySpace.com

Valley Bible Fellowship leader warns parents against online forum
popular with kids, teens

By DAVID BURGER, Californian staff writer
e-mail: dburger at bakersfield.com

Last Updated: Monday February 13th, 2006, 9:19 AM

Is MySpace.com just another front for, say, MySatan.com?

That’s the view of Ron Vietti, senior pastor of Valley Bible
Fellowship in east Bakersfield. Vietti used Sunday’s three services
to deliver an hourlong attack against the evils of Internet social
Web site MySpace.com and how it is “worse than crack, cocaine or
meth.” The senior pastor said the popular Web site lures young boys
into pornography and sets up young girls as victims of sexual predators.

“You say I’m mad — you bet I’m mad!” he said to the capacity crowd
during the 11:30 a.m. service, as congregants in the crowd hollered
“Amens” and “Yeahs.”

MySpace.com, according to The Associated Press, has two-and-a-half
times the traffic of Google.com, with over 50 million users according
to some estimates. The free site — which uses advertising to make
money — allows people to create personal Web pages to talk to
friends, write their own blogs or meet new friends.

The “new friends” are what Vietti is worried about. With six large
binders in his hand, full of salacious pictures he printed off of
MySpace.com — pictures primarily of young girls — the pastor told
parents to get more involved in overseeing what Junior is doing in
his bedroom online.

“Pornography is a growing problem that is sweeping our land,” Vietti
said.

“(The Internet) is one-stop shopping for sexual predators,” he later
said.

Vietti spent between 36 and 38 hours on MySpace.com this past week,
after never hearing of the site until just a month ago. One night, he
was up from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. documenting the evil he saw displayed.

The Web site allows people to post pictures and messages of whatever
they’d like, Vietti said. Many times this involves pornographic
material, the pastor claimed.

Vietti’s remarks contrast with the written MySpace.com photo
submission policy. According to rules posted on the Web site, MySpace
users must be at least 14 years old, and submitted photos must not
contain any sexually explicit imagery, including nudity or pornography.

The policy also tells members that offensive photos can be flagged
and removed by site administrators.

Vietti told his congregation of his own history: when he was 13, he
became addicted to pornography and wasn’t unleashed until he entered
his 20s and “gave my life to God.”

At the beginning of the service, the congregants — there are 8,000
members of the church, Vietti said — received a card titled
“Commitment to Higher Values.”

The card implored parents to commit to four things: putting a filter
on the Internet; putting the family computer in an open area; locking
out the computer when parents aren’t home; and spending more time
with their children.

Vietti didn’t stop there. At 6 p.m. on Feb. 20, he wants people
concerned about stamping out Internet pornography to join a group he
calls “Special Ops Ministry” at the church building. The group will
go to places, like bars, where young people hang out to convince them
to delete MySpace.com from their computers and lives.

Congregants and fellow ministers were motivated by the pastor’s
impassioned testimony, they said.

Youth pastor Vince Sierra, 24, said that although MySpace.com does
some good by helping people meet one another, the cons outweigh the
pros.

“I call it ‘My Waste of Space.com,’” said the pastor, who ministers
to 200 students in high school and 350 students in junior high. “I
think it’s a place where kids waste their time and lose that social
touch.”

“I don’t (use the Internet) at home, because I don’t trust myself,”
said Vietti’s 25-year-old son Josh. The temptation to look at
indecent pictures
would be too strong if he used the computer at home, he said.

Teenagers who are members of both the church and MySpace.com said
they’ve now given up the latter after hearing their pastor.

Richard Fuentez, 16, a junior at Golden Valley High School, said that
although all of his friends are on MySpace, he is going to stop using
it.

“I’d be a hypocrite if I kept it,” he said. He said, until Sunday, he
didn’t know that young girls who posted pictures and personal
information of themselves on the site were unwillingly luring
criminal minds.

David Casillas, 13, also a member of MySpace.com and the church, said
he’d tell his friends Tuesday — Monday is a holiday for him — that
they should stop using MySpace. But he admitted that they’d “probably
say no, because it’s like an addiction.”

One parent of two teenagers, Lori Crabb, said parents should take
advantage of the free filter software the church was handing out Sunday.

“Until today, it was questionably safe,” she said. “But I now know
fully the danger.”

In contrast to the children who agreed with their pastor’s
denunciation of MySpace, other young people in Bakersfield supported
the popular Web site.

MySpace.com users found on Chester Avenue in downtown Bakersfield
Sunday afternoon had definite opinions about the Web site.

“Where are the parents?” asked Alejandro Nuñez, 24, a local musician
who has a 2-year-old son. He spends five hours a day on MySpace.com,
he said, promoting his business and his band, using the site to build
buzz and revenue.

“Bad” is a subjective term, said Jonathan Pineda, 18, a MySpace.com
user. Blaming MySpace.com for making pornography more available is
senseless, he said — it’s everywhere.

“People will find sin as easily as air,” he said.

Valerie Ramirez, 27, has three kids and said she wouldn’t let her
children use the site until they were 15 or 16. Until then, she said,
her daughters “should be reading a book.”

MySpace.com is so prevalent in the two years of its existence that
Bakersfield College has outlawed the usage of MySpace.com on the
college computers, according to a Feb. 1 story in The Renegade Rip,
the college newspaper.

But the dangers are becoming increasingly well-documented.

As recently as Jan. 26, KHOU-TV in Houston, Texas, recounted the case
of a 15-year-old girl who had sex with a 26-year-old man she’d met on
MySpace.com.

The last example proves that devious use of MySpace.com can have
serious consequences.

The pastor also blamed MySpace.com for fostering bisexuality and
called the Internet “the devil’s biggest scheme he has ever inserted
into our lives.”

But part of Vietti’s message was intended to be shocking, he
admitted. He expects to get phone calls and e-mails this week from
some congregants regarding his sermon.

“I think it’s worth saving one kid for all the e-mails and calls I’ll
get,” Vietti said. “I want to make you moms and dads hopping mad,” he
added.

"taken out of context i must seem so strange"

musings :: http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts