[Air-l] Languages on the Internet - air-l Digest, Vol 20, Issue 28

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Mar 23 08:39:58 PST 2006

small ideological digression:

I think that there are at least two identifiable ideological
groundings of these debates about language and the internet.  There
is the gramscian concept of hegemony and its requisite subaltern/
s  .  Then there is the more pervasive hegelian teleology of history,
where the spirit of the age or spirit of man is embodied in the idea
of one leading state/national entity.  The hegelian thematics were
very prominent  in english history during the empire, they parallel
the american ideology today, the extension of the  manifest destiny
into the future pax americana or 'new american century'.   In any
case, I think that AoIR and all international organizations have a
responsibility to resist these ideologies of dominations in the name
of the equality and merit of their members and their members global
citizenship as exemplified in the organization.  There is a
cosmopolitan politics that should be promoted above and beyond any
identity politics.   If we take a cosmopolitical ideal as the
foundation for  our normativity, we can resist tendencies to assert
identities, nationhoods, and even academic tribalisms in the name of
an inclusive global purpose.

Thus the languages of the internet debate in my mind is often a
debate about ideologies as represented by repurposed facts, either
hegelian or gramscian.  I think Nancy's post exemplifies how the
british repurposed facts for their ideological purposes and how by
stating these facts clearly and without emphasis, and that by
appealing to the brute fact of the divergent narratives, we can see
that there is a place for agreement about Marconi outside of
national, linguistic, or other portrayals.   This critical space
where truth can be seen between the stories is far more important for
global awareness then whether the internet is, will be, can be, the
hegemonic territory of a linguistic system that becomes the defacto
'right' or 'good' language.

Isn't the cosmopolitan goal to have a plurally linguistic internet
for all, with global access and its related cultural production as
appropriate to the people/s participating?  Granted of course... the
internet is still mostly owned by corporations... which are owned by
people....